What qualifies me for possible assistance from ReFIT?
- Homeowner or family member living in home must have limited mobility and/or functional limitation.
- Homeowner must have an income below 80% of the median income (may be waived under certain circumstances).
- The client is not eligible for any other home repair programs.
- The homeowner or family member is able to stay in home as a result of modification.
- The requested modifications must increase the accessibility of the home.
- The home cannot be a mobile home, trailer or modular home.
- The home should be in Clackamas, Multnomah, or Washington County in Oregon.
- ReFIT’s focus is to modify current home so as to better accommodate physical limitations and as such does not include home repairs.
Among potential clients who meet these minimum qualifications, top priority is given to those who demonstrate the greatest need. Priority clients may have low or very low income, live alone, have an emergency situation, or be in imminent risk of institutionalization. In addition, the screening process targets clients who have the best chance of reaping long-term benefits from home modifications. Indicators of success include clients who are alert and cooperative, have stable health or a treatable chronic disease, live in a stable neighborhood, and have an involved and committed family.
How can I qualify for ReFIT’s assistance?
The first step in applying for our assistance is to print and complete these forms below:
Once the form is completed, mail it to:
PO Box 8353,
Portland, OR 97207
If you need any assistance, you may call us at (503) 698-8382.
What happens next?
You will receive a call from a member of the Assessment Committee and, if it is found that your application meets all the criteria, we will schedule a site check to review with you your needs and assess your disability. After the site check, the appraiser will make a recommendation to the Board of Directors. If the recommendation is in your favor and the board votes to accept your application we will forward your application to our project committee. They will then develop a construction plan.
Once a project is approved, a project team is formed to ensure that the needs of the client are met with quality work performed in a timely fashion.
The project management process is designed to ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and that all work is performed according to industry standards. Coupled with the screening and evaluation process, this approach ensures that completed projects are reasonable solutions to real needs.